2 January 2015

Ina's French Toast Bread Pudding

I think Ina Garten (fondly known as Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network) is fantastic! She appears to have such a warm personality on TV and I adore how much she is still in love with Jeffery (her childhood sweetheart and husband of almost 50 years)! I have tried a few of Ina's recipes and they never disappoint. Yummy, easy and quick to prepare the recipes I have tried always taste delicious and leave people wanting more.

I ate this French Toast at my friend Laura's house, who kindly hosted a Stella & Dot Trunk Show for me and I was addicted. She also packed some for me to take home and I am reluctant to say, it was all gone by the end of the car ride home. Yes, all 4 pieces.

I tried this recipe for my husband's surprise birthday brunch and it went down a storm. Our friends took pieces home in doggy bags and it was all gone by the end of the brunch!

Ingredients
1 sliced Brioche loaf
8 large eggs
5 cups milk
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt (I use Maldon)
Icing sugar and pure maple syrup, for serving

Method
Preheat the oven to 350°F / Gas Mark 4.

Arrange the bread in two layers in a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish, cutting the bread to fit the dish. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, honey, orange zest, vanilla, and salt. Pour the mixture over the bread and press the bread down. Allow to soak for 10 minutes.

Place the baking dish in a larger roasting pan and add enough very hot tap water to the roasting pan to come an inch up the side of the baking dish. Cover the roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil, tenting it so the foil doesn't touch the pudding. Make two slashes in the foil to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 minutes, remove the aluminum foil, and bake for another 40 to 45 minutes, until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.

With a small sieve, dust lightly with confectioners' sugar and serve hot in squares with maple syrup on the side.













































No comments :

Post a Comment

Post a Comment