6 April 2014

Nigella's Mother-in-Laws' Madeira Cake

I love Nigella Lawson. Cocaine addict or not. Everything about her oozes decadence, sumptuousness and indulgence. Saying that, I know many people would disagree with me. My Mother-in-Law is not a fan at all! However, I find her recipes tasty and rich - although, you shouldn't really make them if you are on a diet!

I love Nigella's Mother-in-Law's Madeira Cake. It's easy, quick and tastes divine. I make this at least once a month and if I am hosting guests, it's my 'go to' cake. Because the ingredients are really basic, I tend to have all of them in my baking drawer, so can usually muster this up pretty quickly at the last minute.

Ingredients
240 grams unsalted butter (softened)
200 grams caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
3 large eggs
210 grams self-raising flour
90 grams plain flour 

Method
You will need a loaf tin (23 x 13 x 7cm / 9 x 5 x 3 inches), buttered and lined
Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas mark 3/325ºF

Cream the butter and sugar and add the lemon zest
Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of the flour for each
Then gently mix in the rest of the flour and, finally, the lemon juice
Sprinkle with caster sugar (about 2 tablespoons) as it goes into the oven
Bake for 1 hour or until a cake-tester comes out clean

nb. I used Stork margarine for the first time today, when I made this, as it would have taken hours for my butter to soften and it tasted yummy nonetheless!



Cream the butter and sugar and add the lemon zest



Creamed butter, sugar and lemon zest



Sprinkle with sugar before placing in the Oven



Voila!


Moist and Yummy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Post a Comment