4 April 2014

Autism Awareness

I never knew much about Autism until I started writing this blog post. I don't know anyone with Autism and due to my ignorance of this illness(?) delayed learning(?) I couldn't really tell you what it is exactly. Until now.

According to the UK's National Autistic Society, "Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with, and relates to, other people. It also affects how they make sense of the world around them". Sounds intense doesn't it?

If, like me, you have wondered why rainbow colours are associated with Autism in many of their marketing campaigns, it is because "while all people with autism share three main areas of difficulty:

1. Social communication
2. Social interaction
3. Social imagination.

their condition will affect them in very different way often referred to as an autism spectrum". Ranging from people who are able to have 'everyday lives' to people who need full time care.

Actually, come to think of it, I used to work with a Lawyer who had an autistic daughter. This lawyer adored her daughter but often said her daughter's autism required a lot of care and played havoc with the furniture in the house - she was obsessed with rearranging the furniture until it was precisely the way she wanted it.

I never thought about how hard it was for my Lawyer friend. How much time and attention her daughter needed. I was in my 20's, free and single, without a care in the world. Now I am a mother of one and soon to be two, I often think about children with difficulties and am in awe of the parents who try to make sure their children have as 'normal' lives as possible. What would I do if I were in that position? How would I cope? Where would I seek help? Gosh - I look at those questions and think about how selfish I am. Why am I thinking about me? What about the children and adults who have Autism? I can't even begin to think what life is like for them...

That is why Autism Awareness campaigns and in particular, World Autism Day on 2nd April is so important. Educating society and those around you are key. The more we are aware of other peoples' 'illnesses' (I hate using that word for Autism), the better we are to help those around us and understand their needs.

I love that Stella & Dot have an Autism Collection and that they donate a minimum of 15% of their collection proceeds in April to The National Autistic Society. I think every business - no matter how big or small should participate in Awareness campaigns like these. Otherwise, how will we become a better society?

1. Visonary Bracelet   £35
2. Bring It Jewellery Roll - Cerise   £32
3. Luxembourg Scarf - Jewelled Zebra   £45
3. Chelsea Tech Wallet - Crazy Stripe   £45

Stella & Dot's Autism Collection



No comments :

Post a Comment

Post a Comment