22 March 2014

A Weeks' Working Lunch

For me, being a stay-at-home-mum requires more than just looking after children. It means looking after my husband too. Not that I particularly want to, but I think it comes part of the 'stay-at-home' package. Now, I don't mean this in the old fashioned 50's way - I don't wear an apron and do my husband Ian's ironing (I will tell you why one day - there is a story behind it). But I do make his lunch and make sure his dinner is ready for him when he comes home.

A while ago, we calculated that he spends approximately £1680 on lunch every year! It may not seem much in the grand scheme of things but over time, it does add up (especially if you are a family of one income). Me making Ian's lunch for him, started with my father making me a packed lunch everyday when I returned to work from maternity leave. My dad stayed with us for a while, to look after Aaren and during that time and because my father loves to cook (he is a feeder), he used to make me yummy spicy vegetable sausage sandwiches and biryani's to take into work. I think Ian got a bit jealous - not that he wasn't offered this service too. I think he just got fed up of Indian food all day long!

So, when my dad left and I went back to being a stay-at-home-mother I thought I would take up the sandwich maker role and thus began the routine. I'm usually on auto pilot in the mornings. I wake up, head straight downstairs, put Aaren's porridge in the microwave and make Ian's lunch. All in a space of 7 minutes!

I like to make things that are quick and easy. I always have turkey slices and wafer thin ham in the fridge and a plethora of condiments from cranberry and mustard sauces through to mint and harissa.

I thought I would take a few pictures of what I made Ian this week. Nothing too ground breaking but tasty nonetheless (so he tells me).

nb. I don't put any margarine spread on Ian's sandwiches as he doesn't like it!


Turkey, Cranberry and Salad


Cheese, Pickle and Salad


Ham, Cheese, Mustard and Salad







Ham, Cheese, Mustard and Salad on Multi-Seed Bread



Roast Chicken and Cranberry on Multi Seed Bread

Post a Comment