16 March 2014

Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream

First of all, let me begin by saying, I am no Delia Smith. I would even go as far as saying I can't really cook. My idea of throwing a meal together is literally just that - throwing whatever is about to expire in the fridge, in a pan and putting a few teaspoons of every Indian spice in my spice rack along with it.

Having said that, I am good at one thing, great in fact and that is following a recipe to a tee. And what better recipe to start my Food page with, than by baking cupcakes?! Everyone's favourite.

I found this cupcake recipe on www.allrecipes.co.uk and love it because it is so easy and I tend to have all the ingredients in my baking drawer.  

Ingredients for Cupcakes
Makes: 24 cupcakes / 12 muffins

175g (6 oz) softened butter
175g (6 oz) caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 eggs
175g (6 oz) self-raising flour

Method
Prep:10min  ›  Cook: 30mins  
  • Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas 3
  • Put the butter and sugar into a mixer and whizz up until light and fluffy
  • Pour in the vanilla essence and add the eggs - whizz again to make a yellow batter
  • Add the flour and mix until it is smooth, about 5 minutes
  • Spoon into fairy or cupcake cases
  • Bake for about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them
  • Leave on a cooling rack for 30 minutes or until cool, then decorate with the Chocolate Buttercream
Note: The recipe I got this from states the cupcakes should be in for 14 mins, however I find that 30 mins cooks them thoroughly, especially because I use muffin cases.


Making the cupcake batter



Can you spot my spotty cases?



Muffins or Cupcakes?


Ingredients for Chocolate Buttercream
Makes: 2 Cups

85g butter
175g icing sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon milk

Method
Prep: 10mins
  • Mix butter and icing sugar well until smooth
  • Add in cocoa powder and milk and mix again until smooth
  • Put the mixture into a piping bag and decorate

Making the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
                                   


Get the piping bag out



To sprinkle or not to sprinkle?



The proof is in the pudding!
                                      

No comments :

Post a Comment

Post a Comment